Topics Map > Campus Services > E-mail
Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software > Windows
Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software > Office Productivity
Microsoft Office - Remove Restrictions on Downloaded Files
This document shows how to turn off protected mode on downloaded Microsoft Office files from the internet.
1. To get to the protected view options, open Microsoft Word (Excel or PowerPoint)
2. In the top left, select the File menu and then Options.
3. On the left column of the new window select Trust Center and then click Trust Center Settings.
4. Now, on the left column, click Protected View and un-check any types of document you would like to open automatically with Protected View disabled. This will allow you to edit these documents without needing to enable editing.
NOTE: Disabling Protected View may make your computer an easy target for zero day virus exploits. A zero day vulnerability refers to a hole in software that is unknown to the vendor, which is then exploited by hackers before the vendor becomes aware and hurries to fix it.
5. Once you check or un-check the preferred settings you can close the windows.
6. If desired, repeat these steps in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint as well.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.