Topics Map > Campus Services > Printing
Topics Map > Campus Services > Computer Lab
Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software > VMWare View Environment
Virtual Desktop - Getting Started in Virtual Labs
Virtual labs allow anyone with a campus NetID to access campus software from anywhere via the internet--even from a mobile device. In addition to software, you will be able to access your USER (J :) and SHARED (S :) drives as if you were on a campus computer, making it a user-friendly and seamless alternative to Net Storage. You may also print to a local computer from the virtual lab. Follow these instructions to install and run the client that gives you access to virtual labs at UW-Platteville.
Getting started is a two-step process
- Install desktop client, VMware View on your Windows, Mac, iOS, or Android device. This is done once and allows you to access the system. (Unfortunately, VMware View is not available for Linux.)
- When you’re ready to work, run the software. This must be done each time.
Additional resources for using virtual labs are listed at the bottom under See Also.
- A limited number of systems are available; if you receive the message, "no systems available", wait and try again later.
- Do not save to local locations such as Desktop, Documents, or Downloads as they will be wiped clean automatically at logout. Similarly, bookmarks and passwords will not be preserved.
- For stability of the desktop, log off the computer as if you were on a lab device, using Log Off versus X-ing out.
- For best results, use high-speed internet; avoid dial-up.
Having problems with the virtual lab?
Refer to Knowledge Base document Virtual Desktop - Reporting an Issue and contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The document contains a checklist of information to include in your report. Using the checklist as a guide will allow for a quicker resolution.
The Virtual Lab Project team would appreciate your feedback on the virtual desktops. Please send questions and comments to the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com.